1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,
    did you know MechoPirate is totally not-for-profit and relies on donations from members such as yourself to stay alive?
    If you enjoy the site and can help us please consider making a donation to keep the site alive, every $1 helps, you can read more regarding our plight here: Our Plea for Help

Or alternatively you can Donate directly but using this link here: Donate Here
  3. Hi Guest,
    Please read our new staff approved rules for the site, any problems with the rules then feel free to contact a member of the team.
    Please ensure you familiarise yourself with these new rules as they have now become the official ruleset of the MechoPirate Site and are now being enforced.
    https://www.mechopirate.com/threads/general-rules-of-the-forum.4/

Many Thanks

MechoPirate Administration & Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Reporting Broken Links

Some of you might have noticed by now that at the bottom of the threads there is a new button called Report Broken Links. This little piece of code has been hand-coded by the MechoPirate Admin Team and we are pleased to say this is now working better than we anticipated
    Lets say a member by the name of peterparker puts a post up with a movie and 6 download links but none of those links work, Rather than skipping past them we ask if you can please click the
    Report Broken Links button and notify the author who can then either re-upload using mirrors OR trash the thread.
    As we run the site for the community and so many people frequent our site this is our way of asking for a little help, not only is it going to save many man hours per week it will also keep the content fresh and active for you all and encourage frequent visitation rather than sporadic

We thank you for your assistance with this matter and hope you all enjoy the wonderful treats that MechoPirate has to offer

MechoPirate Admin Team
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We are currently on the look out for moderators. this means that we will need to expand the team to include more dedicated members which will help our current team handle the forums, your duties will be clear and a certain level of maturity is required if you even want to be considered for the position Section Moderator. Members can PM MechoPirate for an application, what you post will define what type of moderator you will be and ultimately if you are suitable to handle it. Members who constantly troll will not be considered, as mentioned before a certain level of maturity is required and as a moderator your view towards members will change drastically.

If you would like to be considered for the position Start a Thread in the Announcements: Applications Section or PM MechoPirate with why you would be suitable. We are looking for dedicated members only, simply visiting the forums once every week will not be accepted. You are expected to be very active to handle both reports & threads without being told to, you will be working relevantly independent and must be able to make the judgment calls necessary for the job and yes, this could involve warning and even banning friends. those who are successful will be given moderator powers in the section they request and a free S-VIP VIP name for when they are off duty.
    Dismiss Notice

RSS Feed not accessible to Feed reader software due to "DDoS protection by Cloudflare"

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Questions' started by uz3r, May 12, 2017.

If you don't see any download link or link was broken. Please use Report Broken Link button to request new link.
  1. uz3r

uz3r Active Member

If you want to protect the site's feed please choose a method that let's users access it instead of one that makes the feature inaccessible like the current one.

For the uninformed the Cloudflare "DDoS protection" is a JavaScript based product (only usable by programs that have JavaScript capabilities like browsers and web page crawlers) which makes the content it protects inaccessible to anything else - like feed reader programs that only download the RSS feed the site provide and then interpret it.

The way to protect such services is by limiting the times a request can be made to something like 50 requests every 30 minutes and once the limit is exceeded banning the user IP address for some time like 1h the first time, 48h the second time it happens within 24h after the first ban and so on (let's not forget there are places that have many users accessing the net from the same IP address).

Tags:

2. Nullz

Nullz Mecho Network Owner Staff Member Super Admin

Thanks for the information we will pass it on to our server tech team.

3. uz3r

uz3r Active Member

Disable the RSS Feed == "Great Solution"

P.S. Too bad that another great site have became useless :(

4. MechoPirate

MechoPirate Mecho Owner Staff Member Super Admin

hmmm not sure how the site has become useless??

The RSS feed was an issue so it has been removed whilst it can be sorted out and investigated properly. but still you've made your opinion known i'll be sure to pass it onto the higher ups

5. uz3r

uz3r Active Member

The RSS Feed was working fine until someone decided it needed the Cloudflare "DDoS protection" which is incompatible with this type of content ...

P.S. The site is became useless because I don't have the time to check the new content often and the only way to check it was the RSS feed because it let me quickly find only the new threads I might be interested in that ware published after my last visit and skip the rest when I had some free time (or at least remove the ones I'm not interested in and leave the rest for later). Now that it is no longer available I can't do that and as a result the site is no longer usable for me == useless ...

6. MechoPirate

MechoPirate Mecho Owner Staff Member Super Admin

Well just to clarify @uz3r Cloudflare DDoS Protection is merely for that purpose, The type of website that we run and the fact we are quite popular results in attacks to our systems and it was either:
    A) create a firewall config that would block ip's if more than xx connections were made (which could result in posters and posting software being banned)
    B) Create an IP Route that would forward certain ips for mass connections and send those ips to the nullroute destination which again could result in those who are using posters or even those who are running multiple browsers as well as the Search Engine Bots that make mass connections for crawling several pages at once
    C) Run our own DDoS Protection system that would incorporate A & B but with less blocks as it would set a higher threshold and block all non standard traffic (RSS/Crawlers/Posters)
    D) Use an already established service that is linked to the sites backend so when the site does come under attack for protection is puts itself into Attack Mode and makes all connections have a few second wait on their splash page before the site will be accessible for upto 48 hours.

Obviously i decided to go with D because it was already established, other forums/sites out there who offer similar content than what we do are able to run smoothly, i am looking into the RSS system now and trying to figure out how i can resolve this issue and think i can put up a CF Bypass just for RSS purposes and set the RSS to allow a stream from a secondary domain/subdomain that will not be fully protected i just need to weigh up the effects this could have on our systems as security is our main concern and we would rather not jeopardize our users personal data and information.

I'll be working on this and hopefully able to get something in place by end the of the day Monday.

7. uz3r

uz3r Active Member

That's great news.

Last edited: May 29, 2017

8. uz3r

uz3r Active Member